Armenian buildings of Baku

At the end of 19th century and at the beginning of 20th urban construction developed simultaneously with the economic development in Baku. The large-scale oil extracting suddenly changed economic opportunities and stimulated the construction of industrial, dwelling and public buildings. Large-scale construction and building in the city was also connected with rapid increase of number of population. 

The architectural image of Baku mainly developed with intensive and effective participation of Armenian architects and builders who were educated in Petersburg. The input of architects G.Ter-Mikelian, V.Sargsian (Sarkisov), N.Baev, H.Ter-Hovhannsian (Kajaznouni), F.Aghalian, A.Kandinian, M.Ter-Grigoriants in the city landscape of Baku was important. The Armenian architects altering somehow the new style brought from Russia created unique urban architectural-constructive patterns of Baku. 

Gabriel Ter-Mikelian (Mikelov), one of the founders of Baku architecture was the author of outstanding buildings of Baku of the first quarter of 20th century. After graduating from the Institute of Urban-Architects of Petersburg he left for Baku starting his work in the workshop of the famous architect I.V.Goslavski as his assistant. G.Ter-Mikelian designed the front side of the main building of city administration. The building of Baku Public Club (nowadays Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall), the maternity hospital (1899), the building of Baku department of Tiflis Trade Bank (1902-1903), nowadays “Children's World” department store, and Commercial College (1905-1910) were designed by him. One of the important spheres of Ter-Mikelian activities was church construction. 

The contribution of N.Baev in the sphere of architecture and urban-development of Baku at the beginning of 20th century was great. He was the head architect of Baku in 1911-1918. The building of the Mayilians Theatre (1913), nowadays Opera and Ballet Theatre of Baku, a hospital settlement (19 lazarettos with 24 subsidiary buildings), series of schools, gymnasiums, dwelling buildings of Salimanov, Sheremetiev and others, the Sabunchi railway station (1927), Semashko surgical clinic, a whole block of Armenikend called Baev, etc were designed by him. 

By the design of Armenian architect V.Sargsian more than 10 buildings were constructed in the workmen’s settlement of oilmen. By the design of architect F.Aghalian were constructed a gymnasium, a maternity hospital, a treasure house, the Workmen’s house etc. H.Kajaznouni, M.Ter-Grigorian and others also became the architects of series of buildings. The buildings of aforementioned Armenian architects decorate Baku, capital city of Azerbaijan till now.